About Us

My photo
We enjoy to travel, to explore new & interesting places together. While traveling, Pam enjoys to practice her photography skills while Brian reviews the history. We also both enjoy learning about our family histories (and related travel when possible). And most of all we enjoy time with each other, friends and family.

Monday, April 8, 2013

Rural Jalisco

My favourite locations to take photos are in rural settings of interesting places.  Since I started this hobby five years ago, I've been blessed with opportunities to practice my craft in many beautiful and fascinating locations.  And now I live in Mexico with many more opportunities to explore this rich country as I develop my skills.  

A couple of weeks ago I learned about an activity that is tailor-made for me.  A lady who has lived here for over 20 years is offering weekly excursions for photographers to the pueblos and haciendas of the nearby area.  She shares a wealth of information about the culture and history as we drive to the selected locations for the day.  She also has many contacts in the area, and utilizes her friendships to gain access into places that most people don't go.  Accompanying our small group is a professional photographer who is available for questions and suggestions.  Since I'm always trying to improve my photography, I love having this resource for technical training.  And then following our outing, we are invited to the studio for some guidance in post-production work (Photoshop).  

My first outing was about an hour drive away to the north-west, into sugar-cane country.  We visited the Guachimontones ruins near Teuchitlan, then ate lunch observing (and photographing) pelicans and herons, and finally visited two restored haciendas.  

The Ruins 




View driving down from the ruins to the town


This statue was a gem peeking out from the foliage where we stopped for a drink.

Different generations....different ways to relax in the plaza:
 

Finding colourful doors, gates & arches in Teuchitlan


In Mexico, bright colours can be found everywhere.   

Our lunch stop was next to an old hacienda overlooking a lake.  An old aqueduct is now submerged in the lake, making a nice refuge for the pelicans and herons who spend the winter in this area.  



Separate posts will describe the sugar cane and haciendas.  

No comments:

Post a Comment