About Us

My photo
We enjoy to travel, to explore new & interesting places together. While traveling, Pam enjoys to practice her photography skills while Brian reviews the history. We also both enjoy learning about our family histories (and related travel when possible). And most of all we enjoy time with each other, friends and family.

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Utah & The Grand Canyon

September 12 - 28

The next stop on our retirement trip was to visit Jennifer, Jared and Gavin in Utah.  Our first outing was to the nearby park where few activities outweigh the spontaneous pleasure of such fun.

Dig the shades




More Monte Monte Caballo



The day after our arrival Jennifer ran a 5K race, but Gavin cleaned up on the race treats.  



For many years Brian and I have hoped that our retirement travels would include seeing some of the many extraordinary sites of North America.  We plan to live in our home in Mexico during the winter months and spend summers traveling in our motor home between our kids and many place we have not seen.  One day while we were still in Saudi we were talking on Skype to Jennifer about a possible side trip while in Utah.  For a few moments Brian disappeared into his office and when he returned, announced that he had rented an RV and we would travel together to see the Grand Canyon.  Wait!  I thought that was what we were going to do when we're retired.  Wait again! We are retired!!!

A fresh air breakfast is a great way to start

'Camping' has taken on a new look with RVs and laptops 

The beauty and diversity of the world never ceases to amaze and impress me.  My favourite Primary song has the following lyrics:

Whenever I hear the song of a bird
Or look at the blue, blue sky,
Whenever I feel the rain on my face
Or the wind as it rushes by, 
Whenever I touch a velvet rose
Or walk by our lilac tree, 
I'm glad that I live in this beautiful world
Heavenly Father created for me.  




 

We enjoyed the scenery with daily hikes, listening to park rangers, and personal detailed explanations by my favourite geologist.    






 

The California condors have been rescued from extinction in the Grand Canyon and one afternoon we saw several soaring above us.  They can be recognized by their white tracking tags.


Waiting for the bus

We were fortunate to reserve the last camping spot on the South Rim.  Jared amused Gavin by building a rock wall to surround their fort

We shared the campground with lots of elk

But you know you're really camping when it's time for a campfire...with Smores of course.  And yes, Brian still masters his claim to fame in fire building...no paper, one match!  

1 comment:

  1. That is so cool that you have an idea and instead of saying one day we will do it, you just do it:) What a fun adventure for all of you. I have to say Chris is pretty good with starting a fire as well but I am sure Brian surpasses him. Way to go Brian!!

    ReplyDelete