About Us

My photo
We enjoy to travel, to explore new & interesting places together. While traveling, Pam enjoys to practice her photography skills while Brian reviews the history. We also both enjoy learning about our family histories (and related travel when possible). And most of all we enjoy time with each other, friends and family.

Monday, July 15, 2013

Finding Real China (on a long walk)

The day I met Brian’s team for lunch, the taxi ride to the office had taken about 40 minutes.  When they were ready to start their afternoon of work, Brian was going to call a taxi for me.  But I had other plans - I had come armed with my camera, and I wanted to walk and explore. With Google Maps on my phone, I intended to walk until I got tired, and then hail a cab.  Well....I walked all the way home, and arrived back just as the guys were returning from work.  I had walked for 5 hours and I wasn't tired at all...just exhilarated from finding REAL China!!!  (Not the designer shops around the corner from our hotel)  There are lots of photos of course, and these are just the highlights.


This is the neighbourhood near the office.





The streets of Chengdu are very clean and street sweepers can be spotted everywhere in their orange uniforms.  They use the brooms of long straw.

After walking a few blocks I passed by the entrance to the Chengdu Amusement Park.  There were no other rides but a corkscrew roller coaster and its reflection in the lily pond.  I later learned that the park has been closed as a rides park and turned into a city park.  



Today in China, skilled calligraphy masters still practice the ancient art of poetry writing in public parks. Armed with a sponge taped to a pole, they paint with water instead of ink.  Minutes after the art form is created, it evaporates, but it is a work of art while it lasts.  

But kids will be kids...this boy is using the characters as a hopscotch grid.  

I love the contrast of the modern buildings with the old activity.  


Chengdu has many parks and each one is different, but for me the main attraction is people watching.  


Just like every other park I've been to so far, there was a brass band playing and people singing, while others listened

For most of my walk I followed the walking path beside the river.  Even though bicycles are everywhere in China, I learned that even Chinese children need to learn how to ride a bike.  


This tower is the tallest building in Chengdu.  There is a revolving restaurant at the top, but because of the rain and typical overcast days, I'm sure the view isn't great.  

The next park I came to was quite different from the previous one.  Here people were engaged in many kinds of physical activities, including the popular badminton and table tennis.  



Men's bare bellies are seen everywhere.

I was surprised to find young boys playing basketball, but learned that it is also a popular sport in China.

Just around the corner I came to a huge swimming pool complex where a swim team was practicing.  I saw a  young girl doing the butterfly stroke, and thought of Elaina who had told me that morning that she was learning the butterfly in her swimming lessons.  We aren't so different from each other.


Men like to fish anywhere...
...but I wouldn't eat fish caught in this river! 
  I thought I had come upon a demonstration of some kind, but it was just a heavy manpower advertising campaign for a restaurant.  Or so I think since I was handed a flyer that looked like such.  

Kite flying is also popular in China and they have beautiful kites, often shaped like birds or butterflies.  I thought of flying kites with Gavin the night before I left Utah.  I even tried to buy a kite from the man, but he wouldn't sell.


Periodically the river walk intersected a busy intersection.  Watching the maze of traffic is truly a-maze-ing! Explaining the intricacies of that feat is another whole topic, but the complete mood of my walk wouldn't be complete without a few of the traffic photos I took.





This was not the end of my walk but I will continue in a part 2.  

No comments:

Post a Comment