About Us

My photo
We enjoy to travel, to explore new & interesting places together. While traveling, Pam enjoys to practice her photography skills while Brian reviews the history. We also both enjoy learning about our family histories (and related travel when possible). And most of all we enjoy time with each other, friends and family.

Sunday, July 7, 2013

We really going to retire....just kidding....we're off to live in China!

Brian accepted a 1-year position to consult in China on a monthly rotation - but only on the conditional that I could go too.  He will work 1 month and we will travel the next month.

Our timeline for getting to China was pretty incredible.  The idea was proposed to Brian by a colleague at a dinner party as he passed through Houston on June 2nd but it was a couple of weeks before he was made the offer more formally by the company management.  In the meantime he returned to where he was working in Mexico for 10 days and wrapped things up as planned.  At the same time I was in Calgary, moving Mom & Eldon into their new condo.  When we arrived home in Mexico mid-June we started processing our Mexican permanent residency visas (similar to a US Green Card) while waiting to begin the Chinese visa process.

We got the official Chinese invitation letter (required from the government before processing any type of travel of work visa) on Wednesday, June 19th.  After learning that we couldn't use a visa agency to assist us because we were not residing in Canada, Brian learned how to do it ourselves.  On Sunday after church we drove 5 hours to Mexico City and made application at the Chinese Embassy Monday morning.  The bonus was staying with friends Daniel & LeAnn Johnson who are living there.  Tuesday we picked up our visas and drove home.  Wednesday we went to Guadalajara for fingerprinting for our Mexican residency visa.  Thursday we picked up the necessary travel permit that allows us to leave Mexico while that document is being processed. We locked the door on our retirement home in Mexico and we were on the plane bound for China at 7am Friday, June 28th!!!

That means that it was less than a month between the idea being suggested, and an amazing 9 days from receiving the invitation letter, until our departure.  Besides the legal requirements, we had to figure out what we would need to live for a year and how to pack it into 1 suitcase each!

The adventures continue
We arrived in Chengdu just over a week ago.  Here are a list of first impressions:

*  The sky is always overcast
With the combination of high humidity and surrounding mountains to the north and west, it is always gray.  Some critics blame pollution for the overcast skies, but I've read that it is more related to climate.   We've had rain for at least a few hours on most days so far.


We took a long walk in the rain on our first day instead of giving into the jet-lag nap.


*  The climate is VERY humid
Dhahran may hold the world's record for heat index, but this place seems more humid than anywhere I've been.  I don't normally perspire easily but here my face is dripping in no time and my hair is completely flat in less than 2 minutes outside.  A cheap fan was my first purchase.  
I believe the humidity will reduce when winter comes....wait...Winter!  Did I really sign up for a wet head and cold feet?!  


*  English is not widely spoken here
Google Translate is a necessity!  I can type in what I want to say on my smart phone and it translates into Chinese characters for me to show.  I can even activate the audio for them to hear.

*  Good Chinese food is hard to find
All the guide books and websites boast the cuisine of Sichuan (Szechuan) province.  I will make a separate post about Hot Pot, the local specialty.  Also, Kung Pao chicken originated here.  I am a hesitant eater in most foreign places, but the others agree that we haven't had good luck so far.  We will keep trying because I'm sure it exists out there, but my Mom is still the best Chinese cook I know.


*  Chengdu is a very modern city
Due to its importance as an economic, transportation and trade centre, Chengdu is experiencing rapid growth.  Unfortunately, many of the ancient features have been razed to make room for the skyscrapers.  I will just have to continue exploring to find the historical and cultural icons that still do exist.

The bridge in foreground is a new restaurant.  


*  The fashion industry is flourishing in Chengdu
Just around the corner from the hotel we call  home, are located all of the designer stores....Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Prada, Rolex, Burberry...the list goes on and on.  And this is NOT the knock-off district.



 
Who would want to shop at these stores, when the exciting local market beckons with its sounds, smells, confusion, and haggling.  That sounds like a lot more fun.  I've just learned how to get there so watch for more details and maybe even be the recipient of a souvenir.  

Along the fashion line, women wear the most amazing shoes!  However, I find I'm not even tempted as I appreciate the comfort and security of my walking sandals to the height and style of the designer footwear.  

*Spitting is common
Yuuuukkkk!!!  A lot of older men spit on the sidewalks.  It's disgusting!  I'm learning to hear it coming, and look the other way, but sometimes I'm not quick enough.  I don't intend to capture photos of this local trait.  

*Electric scooters are replacing bicycles
My image of China and my memory of Beijing and Shanghai are streets crowded with bicycles.  Here there are much fewer bicycles (although a lot more than home).  The scooters run on batteries and so are very quiet.  The risks associated with being a pedestrian here will be the highlight of another post...if I live long enough.  


*Old men are alive and well
My inclination to photograph old men has not met disappointment here.  To me, old men anywhere reflect a peek into their individual backgrounds.




1 comment:

  1. I love this post! It's nice to have a glimpse into where you're living now, and you've captured all aspects of it so well. Excited to read more!

    ReplyDelete